DIY Fall Fireplace Decor
Finally I have some to catch up on the past month! October is and will always be one of the busiest months for us. Halloween costumes go without saying. Now that Anderson is an October babe that means birthday party planning! Then the photoshoot, because birthdays come with a photoshoot day, then the actual party. Honestly though as my husband says I live for this stuff. I can’t deny that. I love planning & hosting. More importantly I LOVE seeing my vision come to life.
Here is a vision that took a ride in my backseat of “what am I going to do with these”. I have always loved the idea of having old windows and doors and making them useful. I have a post about an old sash window I turned into our weekly chalkboard calander. I’ll have to add it later. Anyway I needed new ones. So onto Craigslist I went. I picked these up for a deal $40 for both!!!! I mean Pottery Barn and World Market sell these for $250 each! I loved these, and originally thought about hanging them over our bed, now insert what if…what if they fell off while we were sleeping…with our 3 year old in bed…yaaaaa, so stored next to my dresser for a few months. Until….
Holiday decor is coming! Lets update the mantle.
Here they are before. Note the plain one does have the window pane that
I removed for easier access.
I decided to go with Krylon looking glass spray paint because its rustic and chic.
Now I know it’s a bit more than regular spray paint but it really is worth it especially if youre planning on keeping the piece for awhile.
First I cleaned the windows, hard core. I washed the glass and took a razor blade to get rid of all the old paint on and around the glass. I also sanded down some of the wood to make a smooth surface in case I decided to re paint them. Of course I did that too.
Once cleaned up they are ready. The glass spray bottle: Vinegar & water. This is how you get that mercury glass effect. I watched a few tutorials on this, they all varied on when to spray a fine mist. Some said before you did the paint, some said after the first coat of spray paint. I decided to do with the after I did one coat. And use a paper towel to blot the ares I wanted to be more distressed.
This is after one coat and few sprits of my vinegar water mixture. It looked a bit blotchy, I needed more spray paint. I ended up working after the sun went down of course now that its getting darker earlier this kind of cramps my style. But whatever, I made it work. After a few more coats of paint I got to looking at the window thinking it did need a fresh coat of paint on the wood and the hardware could use a fresh look too.
Night painting at its finest! Thankfully we had some white in hand. See the difference in just a bit of white….
Since I didn’t get around to getting new hardware and it’s super unique I just went with a fresh coat of spray paint!
Such a huge difference in a fresh coat of paint!! Now onto the pumpkins!
Stay tuned for the follow up post!
Much l o v e,